Summer holidays mean sunshine-filled days spent with friends on our soft, green lawn – wine glass in hand, of course!
But if you are entertaining at home this holiday season, we recommend that you give our sangria recipe a try.
White wines are usually more popular during the summer months as we tend to enjoy lighter fare like salads and seafood. These wines are also best served cold which make them more welcome and refreshing during warmer weather. Although this may be true, sangria (traditionally made with red wine) can be the perfect drink to quench your thirst on a hot day. The beautiful colours and the fresh fruit flavours make it ideal for any picnic or summer pool party.
This sangria is super-easy to prepare; make a large pitcher as your guests will definitely be coming back for more!
- 750 ml ReedValley Merlot
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Splash of orange juice or lemonade
- 2 shots gin or triple sec (optional)
- 1 cup raspberries or strawberries (can use fresh or frozen)
- 1 small tin diced pineapple (with juice)
- 4 cups ginger ale
- Pour wine into a large pitcher and squeeze the juice from the lemon, orange and lime wedges into the wine.
- Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and pineapple, then add sugar, orange juice, and gin. Chill overnight.
- Add ginger ale, berries and ice just before serving.
- If you’d like to serve it right away, use chilled red wine and serve over lots of ice. However, remember that the best Sangrias are chilled around 24 hours in the fridge ─ allowing the flavours to really marry each other.
Serve your sangria with a cheese platter made up of your favourite cold meats, cheeses, olives, preserves and breads.
Recipe source: www.thespruce.com