These Rubi Poached Pears are easy to prepare, serves as a dramatic visual statement to the end of any special dinner, and tastes divine!
- 600 ml Vinho Cabo Rubi
- 600 ml water
- 140 g castor sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks, halved
- 2 strips orange peel
- 2 strips lemon peel
- 8 pears, peeled with stalks intact
- Pour the Vinho Cabo Rubi and water into a large pot. Add the sugar, cinnamon, lemon and orange peel, and heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the pears, bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20-30 min. The pears are ready when a toothpick can go easily through. For deep-red pears, allow them to cool in the syrup overnight.
- If your syrup is a bit too runny, let it boil for another 20-30 min.
- To serve: Place pears upright, drenched in syrup, with vanilla ice cream or double cream yoghurt.
Keep left-over syrup in the fridge for up to 30 days and serve over ice cream, fruit, waffles and pancakes.
Buy the ReedValley Vinho Cabo Rubi here.